Theatre Minor Declaration
You cannot officially “declare” the minor until you are registering for the final classes needed to complete the minor, usually in the senior year. Nonetheless, the Department of Theatre wants to have a list of potential minors, and to ensure that you receive information about the major, minor, and courses.
The Minor in Theatre (currently available only to Barnard students; Columbia College and General Studies do not approve minors) provides the opportunity to engage in the range of opportunities offered by the Theatre department: students who minor in Theatre take a mix of lecture and seminar courses in drama, theatre, and performance studies, as well as courses in a selected area or selected areas of performance practice (acting, design, directing, dramaturgy, stage and production management, playwriting), as well as fulfilling one backstage crew requirement. Please note:
- Only courses that would fulfil the major requirements can be used to fulfil minor requirements.
- The minor can be “declared” only in the semester that all requirements for the minor will be completed, typically in the first or second semester of the senior year.
The minor in Theatre consists of seven (7) courses; only courses that fulfill major requirements may be taken to fulfill minor requirements. Students minoring in Theatre may take one (1) relevant course from another department as part of the “elective” series, as approved by the minor advisor or the department chair.
Seven (7) courses, to include three 3- or 4-credit lecture/seminar courses, three 3-credit studio courses, and one (1-3 credit variable) crew assignment, as follows:
- One (1) Theatre lecture course (THTR UN 3149, THTR UN 3150, THTR UN 3151, THTR UN 3154)
- One (1) additional lecture course from the list above or seminar course offered at the 3000 level in the Theatre department
- One (1) course offered in the Theatre department in any of the following fields: acting, design, directing, dramaturgy, playwriting.
- Four (4) additional courses as follows:
- One (1) 3000 level lecture/seminar course in drama, theatre, and performance studies offered in the Theatre department.
- Two (2) studio courses, chosen from acting, design, directing, dramaturgy, or playwriting.
- One (1) Theatre production crew assignment, which is constituted as a course.
- One (1) relevant course from another department may be included with prior approval of the department chair, including ENTA courses offered through Columbia English, or relevant courses offered in other departments.
No more than three (3) courses may be in a single format: three (3) lecture or seminar and three (3) studio courses. All three studio courses may be in a single discipline (for example, three courses in acting; two design courses and one approved course in figure drawing; three playwriting courses, including one approved course taken in Barnard English).